Start at All Saints Church, Mattishall
continue down Mill Street. (To start the East Tuddenham
walk go up Burgh Lane and take the footpath past the
church to join the walk at .
 dates from mediaeval times when
the local weaving industry was at its height. A great
deal of wealth was spent at that time on building
new churches, so that today Norfolk has the highest
concentration of mediaeval churches in Europe. However,
few have remained unaltered and Mattishall's is no
exception. The church has an attractive hammerbeam
roof, the remains of a 15th century roodscreen with
paintings of the apostles and a Jacobean pulpit.
Take the footpath on the right.
One of Mattishalls three corn mills
was once located just off Mill Street .
This one was the last working mill in the parish,
being derelict by 1916. You will pass its three storey
stump towards the end of the walk.
Follow the footpath across the road
and between two houses. On reaching the next road,
turn left then take the footpath on the right of Ivy
 dates from the first half of the
18th century. It has a fine doorway surrounded by
fluted Roman Doric pilasters and entablature. The
stables have the date 1741 and the initials I.A.S.
on the west gable.
The footpath continues across a further
Old hall. 
This was called Mattishall Hall on
the ordinance survey map of 1838. It has a 17th century
core which was refaced in the early 19th century.
Go diagonally across the first field,
through the gate and over the stile at the top corner
of the second field. On reaching the Yaxham Road turn
right and then left up Stone Road towards Dereham,
which runs alongside Badley Moor.
 was an extensive area of marsh
adjoining the river tudd until it was enclosed by
an Act of Parliament in 1764. It was drained and turned
into agricultural land. Stone Road was laid out as
a new road under the Act.
Take the track on the right just past
Stone Road Farm. Follow the footpath around and along
a track.On reaching the road, turn right. Follow the
road taking the left fork to Hockering and continue
past Clipping Green Farm on your left.
Clipping Green Farm is a grade 11
listed mid 16th century building which boasts an original
west wall with kingposts and an eastern gable with
original leaded lights and collartie beam. The adjacent
mediaeval moat is yet to be investigated.
Take the right hand track on the bend
towards Rookery Farm.
Rookery Farm 
is another old farmhouse, dating back
to the 17th century. To the north of here was "West
Field" and "Coll's Green" two of the
open fields of the mediaeval farming system.
Follow the track round to the left
and on reaching the road turn left, then right along
the footpath past Mattishall Burgh Church. Turn right
on reaching the road to return to Mattishall.
Mattishall Burgh Church
 dates back to the 13th century.
"Burgh" probably derives from the Saxon
for "hill", although it could come from
"barrow" - the prehistoric burial chambers
that are found throughout the country. The Church
boasts an 18th century barrel-organ and sanctus bell
turret (but no bell) as well as a mediaeval screen.
Follow the footpath and on reaching
Bullmans Close Lane turn left.
At its northern end 
the lane goes between two areas of
farmland that used to be called "Burgh Green"
on the left and "High Field" on the right
- two more names from the mediaeval open field system.
Turn right on reaching the road and
take the footpath just after Whitford Bridge.
The long footpath
 along the side of the
River tudd between Whiford Bridge is a particularly
attractive part of the walk. It crosses meadows and
small tributary streams, full of wildlife interest.
Follow the footpath past the farm
crossing the bridge over the River Tudd. Turn left
after the double stile and follow the path through
the fields. At the end of the lane turn left and immediately
right along the footpath. Turn right on coming out
of the wood and follow the stream past East Tuddenham
East Tuddenham Church 
dates back from the 13th century with later
alterations such as the unusual 15th century porch
and effigy of Sir Edmund Berry holding his heart in
his hands. Its west tower is off-centre and was built
in about 1300. It contains a beautiful stained glass
window, painted by the widow of the vicar, the Rev.
Edward Mellish who died in 1830.
Cross the road and continue along
the footpath towards Crinoline Lane.
Crinoline Lane crosses what was once
part of Tuddenham Heath, which was enclosed and turned
into farm land in 1802.
Turn left along Common Road and take
the right hand track just before Mock Beggar Hall.
Mock Beggar Hall
 was built in the 17th
century. It was originally a U-plan building but the
space between the wings has been subsequently filled
in. The old dove cote is now used as a water tower,
altough the nest boxes are still in place inside.
Pass Welborne Church on the left and
go straight across Welborne Road.
Welborne Church 
has a round west tower which probably dates
back to the 12th century. The porch dates from the
15th century and the chancel and vestry were built
in 1874-6. Most of the internal fittings are Victorian.
Go along the track and across New
Lane and look out for the three story stump of Mattishall's
last working mill. Then turn right along Mill Street
and head back to All Saint's Church.