The most prolific clockmaker
of this family appears to be Dunham John Hoy of Mattishall
If you have a Hoy clock we would love a picture of it for
For facts on the Hoy family, there
is a 'Fact Timline' Just Click HERE
you will be taken to another page.
We start with what appears to be
Please keep in mind this is still work in
progress, as I get more information I will update
of Mildenhall approx 1797-1802 - Mattishall
From records it appears that John
Hoy born about 1773 at Brettenham, Norfolk (between East Harling
and Thetford) could have been the founder of the Hoy family craft
and business of Watch and Clock Makers. As the picture below shows
John Hoy looks as though he was an established Watch and
Clockmaker at the Suffolk market town of Mildenhall in the late
1700's. We know of at least one of his clocks (again pictured
below) are there others?
It is believed that
Edward Hoy who together with his wife Elizabeth who were
living at Brettenham in the late 1700's were John's parents. Sadly
no recorded of John's baptism have been found as according to
the Norfolk Records Office they are lost. This Edward Hoy
is thought to be the same Edward Hoy who married Elizabeth
Willingham on July 03, 1766 at West Stow, Suffolk. According
to records that do exsist at Brettenham Edward and Elizabeth had
two other daughters baptised in St Andrew church, Sarah in 1777
and Esther 1782, although Esther did not survive and was buried
the same year. No other Hoy's were mentioned in the records. A
search of the Archdeacon's and Bishop's transcriptsrecords reveal
nothing for that period.
So where did the
Hoy family go? - The obvious link is Edward Hoy of Troston,
Suffolk and the link is through John's sister Sarah who in 1824
was the executor of her father's last Will and Testament. Edward
died November 21st 1824 and in his will he was described as 'Gentleman'
John inherited the sum of £125 together with an equal share
with his siblings of further monies and proceeds of goods after
Mildenhall clockmaker approx 1798-1805
A late 18th Century fruitwood
and mahogany longcase clock, the square hood with a pair
of flanking reeded columns and brass capitals, with long
crossbanded trunk door on a plinth base, the white painted
dial with black Roman numerals within painted rose spandrels
and subsidiary calendar aperture, with thirty hour movement
striking on a bell.
My thanks to Brian Loomes
author of 'Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World'
for his help with the finer technical detail below.
Hoy became apprentice to John Spendlove (1737-1817)
of Thetford, Norfolk - Term: until the age of 22 years
If we assume he was 17 in 1790, this could explian why his term
ran till aged 22 in order to give him 5 years training which was
probably the minimum. Usually it was from age 14 to 21.
Full details apprenticed: July 21, 1790, fee £20.00. That
was a fairly high fee - enough for his father to have to find!
John Spendlove senior (1704-1788)
was father to John (1738-1817) and James (1753-1831). John senior
moved from Metfield to Hingham in 1745/6, before moving to Thetford
in 1764. Clocks are known by him in Hingham, but not Metfield.
His half brother Henry worked only in Metfield. John junior probably
helped his father on clocks in Hingham, but most of his work relates
to Thetford. James worked briefly in Thetford, but nearly all
his clocks were made in Brandon. John junior’s children,
John Simpson and Hannah both worked with their father and continued
the business after his death in 1817. - information kindly
supplied Trevor Spindler (descendant of the Spendloves)
Is this John Hoy's
marriage to Frances? .....
We have to wonder if John's wife's surname was 'Dunham' as their
son born about 1809 was named John Dunham although after
his marriage in 1831 where he was recorded as John jnr
he became known as Dunham John Hoy. Dunham is quite an
unusual first name which would make you think it came from his
mother's name, so could her maiden name have been Frances Dunham.
With this in mind a search of marriage
records for Norfolk and Suffolk for a John Hoy to a Frances
Dunham returns only one result, Sep 24, 1795 at Reepham, Norfolk.
John would have been about 22 and Frances about 19. This fits
perfectly into the time scale as in those times apprentices where
not allowed to marry till their term was served usually 7 years
but John's apprenticeship was to the age of 22 and would have
ended in June-July. Unfortunately only basic information is on
this marriage record, no birth dates, no occupation and no fathers
are mentioned either so it cannot be taken as a completely accurate
result but this is the only one there is! Looking for further
information on this Reepham John and Frances Hoy it is
shown that they had a son William born Oct 18, 1796, he died Sep
1805 age 8 in both cases at Reepham. Further searches for anything
else on this couple draws a blank although there are a couple
of deaths of John's but they do not fit age wise, so it appears
the couple have disappeared. Again a search of death records in
Norfolk and Suffolk for a Frances Hoy returns only one
result and that is at Mattishall and she is the wife of John
Hoy (above) born 1773. Could these all be the same people?
It is also noted that there was a family of Hoy's living at Reepham
at this time, was this part of John's extended family, was his
father born there? Another question, John and Frances must have
had some sort of courtship and as John was apprentice at Thetford
was Frances also in service there.
fact.... that makes us think this is the
same couple is the birth date of Frances Dunham of Reepham.
Frances Hoy the wife of John Hoy of Mattishall was
63 when she died in the June of 1839 giving her a birth date of
1775: Nov 26 - Baptism
St. Michaels, Church, Hackford (Eynesford), Norfolk
Frances Dunham - born Nov 24, 1775
Father: Michael Dunham
Mother: Frances Norris - Michael and Frances were married
Oct 15, 1771 at St Michaels
This is pretty close!
Did John work for the Reepham's clockmaker
for a while after his marriage as there was a William Hoy
(son of John and Frances) born Oct 18, 1796 at Reepham which clearly
places him there a year after his marriage. - Only one clockmaker
worked at that time at Reepham, John Symonds, from at least
1774 till his death in 1815. Did John work for him (which is why
there is no clock known, made by him, signed there) until John
Symonds son John Symonds Jnr came of age about 1796ish
(John was known to be at Mildenhall shortly after this) and left
because either he did not like it, they did not get on or he was
no longer needed.
So why Mildenhall?
At Mildenhall from about 1797-8 there was no clockmaker, did John
spot a likely place to set up his own business? Did John go back
to John Spendlove at Thetford seeking work and was it he
who recommended Mildenhall knowing they had no clockmaker or did
John go home to his father (who was living within a few miles
of Mildenhall) and was it he who set him up in business there?
We know that John and Frances were in Mildenhall in 1799 as in
the “Inquisition of the inhabitants of the town of Mildenhall
Anno 1779” by John Swale JP of Mildenhall ( ref 996\7\1)
John Hoy was listed as ‘Hoy (Watchmaker) & wife
& child’ are listed as being in the Market Place. Also
listed in the same property is ‘Crane & wife (Shoemaker)’.
There are a total of 3 males, 2 females and 1 child listed as
living in the property in early 1799. But in the Amendments added
post 1802 'Hoy (watchmaker)' was crossed out and replaced by Hensby
&Wife Child. which leads us to believe John and his family
had left by the end of 1802, early 1803.
John and Frances had a son named
Edward Hoy baptised at Mildenhall in May 1799. The clock
pictured above has been dated as being made before 1800. John
and Frances had another child Elizabeth Hoy also baptised
at Mildenhall in the Oct of 1802, but it is thought the family
left shortly after. If our theory is correct they were to return
to Reepham where their son William Hoy age 8 died and was
buried on Sep 26, 1805. Notes taken from the burial record: Son
of John and Frances Hoy.
Dunham John Hoy or the several
permutations of his name that he used, was born about 1809 and
according to his census statements his birth place was Mildenhall.
However no evidence to prove this has come to light and it seems
doubtful unless the family moved back for some reason because
by the Easter of 1810 John Hoy was commissioned to clean
the church clock in All Saints church Mattishall and by 1826 John
was a landowner on Dereham Road, and South Green, Mattishall.
Dunham or John Hoy is the only child
that we have not been able to find a baptism record for but from
all accounts he was not baptised at Mildenhall, I doubt if he
would have been missed out so the record must be out there somewhere.
Please keep in mind
this is my theory, taken from the facts that we have unearthed
so far. If you have another please get in touch.
According to census records John and his wife Frances (born about
1776) had three children born in Mildenhall although sadly no
baptism records has been found for Dunham as yet. The three that
we know off are:-
Edward Hoy baptised May
12, 1799 at Mildenhall, Suffolk son of John and Frances Hoy
- page55, no8
Edward married and lived in Whissonsett, Norfolk -
To jump and read more on Whissonsett
click for shortcut HERE
Elizabeth Hoy baptised
Oct 24, 1802 at Mildenhall, Suffolk daughter of John and Frances
Hoy - reference number: 2176
Elizaberth married and was recorded at Hingham, Norfolk in 1841
To jump and read more on Hingham
click for shortcut HERE
Dunham John Hoy born about
1809 at Mildenhall, Suffolk - also known as John Dunham Hoy
and John junior
No baptism record has been found to date so we only have John's
census statements stating his birthplace as Mildenhall.
Dunham married and settled in Mattishall -
To jump and read more on Mattishall
click for shortcut HERE
If our theory is correct there
was also William Hoy 1796-1805
Clockmakers generally do not work
on watches; the skills and tools required are different enough
that watchmaking is a separate field, handled by another specialist,
the watchmaker. However it is noticed that the Hoy family were
known as both clock and watchmakers.
What is interesting is, if all
this information is correct, John certainly got about the
country a lot in his younger years. There are still a few un-answered
questions, what took him all the way to Mildenhall and what brought
him to Hingham and Mattishall where he finally settled and passed
away in 1853 aged 81.
We will see later that there is
a strong family link with the villages of Hingham, and Whisssonsett
in Norfolk. The first record of John and his family being in Mattishall
was the Easter of 1810 when he was commissioned to clean the clock
in All Saints church tower. In the Mattishall Land Survey of 1826
John was recorded as a property and land owner. We also know that
his son Dunham married a local Mattishall girl (Sarah Petchall)
in the village in 1831. In 1851 John was recorded in the Mattishall
census staying with his son Dunham and described as 78, widower,
formerly a watchmaker born at Brettenham, Norfolk.
The first known Mattishall
long case clock made by
John Hoy dated 1810-1815
11 inch painted dial with a birdcage movement
Picture suppied by Derek D Clabburn
Edward (1799), John's other son married Sarah
Parker of Whissonsett and as John seemed to have taught all his
children his trade Edward set up his own business in Whissonsett
and North Elmham until his death in 1859. There are still some
of his clocks about today, 'Edward Hoy, Whissonsett'.
Taken from death certificate
1853: Feb 15 – Death of John Hoy at Union House,
Gressenhall, a Watchmaker.
Age: 62 years !!!! - He was 81 so how this
came about is a mystery
Cause of death Bronchitis certified
Informant: Ann Webster present at the death
Registered: March 10, 1853 - There was
a delay in registering the death.
Age 62 would give a birth date of approx
1791 - just as a double check a search
covering 10 years either side of 1791 has revealed to baptisms
of any other John Hoy.
There was no other watchmaker named John Hoy so it looks
like his age was recorded wrong, was this due to the delay of
3 weeks in registering the death. Union House was a Workhouse
and inmates were usaually not held in very high esteem, and because
of the share numbers that they had to deal with maybe bookwork
was not to much of an issue either.
Having now seen quite a few of the Hoy's clock
it is more likely that John bought in components from suppliers
and assembled them to fit his orders. We now know that John did
an apprenticeship at Thetford and we know of one of his clocks
being signed as being made at Mildenhall. Let's hope some more
turn up which could help in our research.
Hoy's of Mattishall
John Hoy - approx
Dunham John Hoy - approx 1836-1871
Edward John Hoy - approx 1859-1870 at Whissonsett
- 1870-1885 at Mattishall (grandson)
Edward Sussens Hoy - approx 1888-1940
Dunham John Hoy
Mattishall clockmaker 1831 - 1872
Picture supplied by Chris Tyrrell
Dunham John Hoy was also known for making
pocket watches. One such watch is held by the National Trust in
their archive collection. It was given to the National Trust with
Snowshill Manor in 1951 by Charles Paget Wade. It is described
as 'Watch part; Dial and movement from a pocket watch made by
D.J.Hoy. Mattishall. Roman numerals on face'.
Taken from the National Trust
A Cotswold manor set in hillside gardens; a fanciful world filled
with unlikely treasures. Charles Paget Wade’s passion
for craftsmanship, colour and design began when he was just 7
years old. His motto was ‘let nothing perish’, and
his life was dedicated to finding, restoring and enjoying objects
of beauty, both everyday and extraordinary. He
packed his treasures into the Cotswold manor house which he bought
and renovated for the purpose. From tiny toys to Samurai armour,
musical instruments to fine clocks, thousands of treasures are
laid out just as Mr Wade intended. The manor
nestles in an intimate Arts and Crafts-style terraced garden with
hidden vistas and quiet corners.
The Manor House: - The manor
house is a typical Cotswold house, made from local stone; the
main part of the house dates from the 16th century. Today, the
main attraction of the house is perhaps the display of Wade's
collection. From 1900 until 1951, when he gave the Manor to the
National Trust, Wade amassed an enormous and eclectic collection
of objects reflecting his interest in craftsmanship.
Picture supplied by Dennis Haynes
Below is a document
written by Mattishall's historian Iris Coe - I would like to thank
her for her help in this research.
JOHN HOY, watchmaker,
according to the Mattishall Census of 1851, was born at
Brettinham (Brettenham), near Thetford c1781. It is not
known exactly when he arrived in Mattishall. His son DUNHAM
JOHN HOY was said to have been born at Mildenhall, Suffolk
c1808 so it is possible that JOHN HOY married FRANCES (maiden
name unknown – but possibly DUNHAM) there some time
An entry in Mattishall Churchwardens’
Accounts for the year Easter 1810-Easter 1811 reads ‘Mr
Hoy for the Clock cleaning &c £1. 4s. 0d.’.
This is the first reference to the Hoy family to be found
in Mattishall records to date. Thereafter, until 1844 (possibly
beyond) Mr Hoy or Hoys were being paid for maintaining the
The next record in which the name figures
is a Survey of the village in 1826 (original map and schedule
in the archive of Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge).
JOHN HOY was the owner/occupier of Plot No.179 : House and
Garden 19 perches. Later records reveal that this was situated
on what we now call Dereham Road to the West of Mill Road,
and further identified as the cottage bearing the distinctive
roundel containing the words “Repos des Célibataires”
(Batchelors’ Rest). This Survey also showed that JOHN
HOY owned House, Cottage & Gardens 35 perches in South
Green occupied by tenant Duffield and others (not named).
Mattishall Poor Rate record of November
1836 indicates that JOHN HOY had moved to the house in South
Green, and his son DUNHAM JOHN HOY occupied the Dereham
Road property (situation then called Badly Moor).
FRANCES HOY died in 1839 aged 63 years and
was buried in Mattishall churchyard on 21st May.
Mattishall Poor Rate record of November
1840 shows that JOHN had let the House and 35 perches of
Land at South Green to a Mrs Meachen. It is confusing to
find the Mattishall Tithe Survey c1838 (original map and
schedule in Norfolk Record Office), lists DUNHAM JOHN HOY
as owner of all the properties, but the Poor Rate Books
continue to record the owner as JOHN HOY. However, from
the January 1851 Poor Rate Book it is noted that J D HOY
was listed as the owner of the Dereham Road property.
When the 1851 Mattishall Census was taken, widower JOHN
HOY was living with his son DUNHAM There is no record here
of a burial for JOHN HOY but his Executors were listed as
owners of his property from July 1853 to January 1855. From
April 1855 owner was again named as JOHN HOY. It is assumed
that the son probably went by the same name as his initials
were often reversed. The Poor Rate records ceased after
DUNHAM JOHN HOY died in 1872, aged 64 years,
and was buried in Mattishall churchyard. EDWARD JOHN HOY
was buried in Mattishall Cemetery in 1920, aged 85 years
and his son EDWARD SUSSENS HOY in 1943, aged 82 years. There
do not appear to be any gravestones marking the plots.
It is clear that the HOY watch and clock
makers were in business in Mattishall for a hundred years.
Researched by Iris Coe : February 2006
Below is a hand bill that Edward
Sussens Hoy put round Mattishall in 1891 advertising his watches.
It was found in the vast collection of memorabilia belonging to
Russell Smith (1919-2009).
to Working Men
E. S. Hoy
PRACTICAL WATCH & CLOCK MAKER,
Has a large assortment of New and Second-hand Watches,
specially suitable for Working Men, which he is now offering
GREATLY REDUCED PRICES
|English Lever Watches
|Strong Second-hand pair-case Watches
|Second-hand Lever & Geneva
HOY'S Watches have now stood the test of over
50 years, and are undoubtedly the strongest,
cheapest and most reliable watches sold for
GIVEN AWAY !!
A hansom present will be given
to every purchaser of a Watch before
December 31st 1891
All New Watches Warranted for two years:
Taken from Memories of Mattishall's Trades......
Edward Sussens Hoy jnr. - Clock & Watchmaker
(1900 - 1930's)
He worked from the house next to The Laurels on the Dereham Road
after his father Edward John Hoy. On the east wall facing the
entrance yard wall there was a small gap about 18" square
with three vertical metal bars. Behind this opening was a board
with a small hole in it which he told children was a spy hole
to look out for the police. If the police were at the door they
didn't answer but if it was the man with the brandy he was let
in. Apparently smugglers did visit and this was not a story made
up for the children. He used to allow the children to play on
a bench outside his door which had a number of objects on it which
were clearly defined as 'touch me' and 'touch me not'.. There
are still grandfather clocks around the country that were made
by Hoy. In fact, a woman who lived in Devon and was moving to
Yaxham owned a Hoy clock (coming home). There are still clocks
made by Hoy working in the county today and one was sold in an
auction down Mattishall Burgh. Some of his clocks cost as much
Hoy's of Whissonsett &
North Elham another branch of the family
Edward Hoy approx 1824-1859,
(son of John Hoy (the founder) of Mattishall)
Edward John Hoy - approx 1859-1870, (Nephew
of Edward and granson of John)
Edward Hoy (1799) carried
on the family trade of Clock and Watchmaker he married on May
21, 1823 at the village of Whissonsett and lived there with his
wife Sarah (nee Parker) a single women and from 1836-1846 was
the Beer House Keeper and a Watchmaker of the Jolly Farmers Public
House in the High Street. Edward died in the Sep quarter of 1859
(Mitford 4b 201). Edward's wife Sarah become the first official
village post woman in 1861. She died in the Mar quarter of 1870
(Mitford 4b 224) age 76.
Edward and Sarah had chilren:
Elizabeth Francis Hoy baptised
Nov 05 1824 at Whissonsett
Mary Elizabeth Hoy baptised Jan 19 1826 at Whissonsett
Whissonsett clockmaker 1824 - 1859
My thanks to
Ann English of
Whissonsett for the following......
Sadly Edward and Sarah Hoy lost their two daughters, one at the
age of 8 and the other, presumably in childbirth at 23. After
Edward died in 1859 his nephew Edward John Hoy, from Mattishall
(son of Durham John Hoy of Mattishall) worked for a time as a
watchmaker in Whissonsett, living with Sarah who was the village
postmaster. Sarah died in 1870. Edward is on the 1861 Whissonsett
census with his wife Elizabeth, born in Yaxham, and 7 month old
son Edward born in Whissonsett. They were back in Mattishall living
with his mother, Sarah, by the time their daughter Catherine was
born in 1866. Sarah's grandfather Parker was a property owner
and several of the cottages here have plaques with his initials
Edward Hoy lived in a cottage in High Street,
Whissonsett where it is unlikely any of the rooms could accommodate
a clock 90 inches (7 feet 6 inches) tall. Very few people could
afford any sort of clock. Mostly they got up when it was light
and went to bed when it was dark and the church clock told the
time more or less accurately. The ceilings in most cottages in
Whissonsett were (and many still are) not ore then 80 inches high!
Edward Hoy most likely bought in the various parts of the clocks,
the works, the painted faces and the long cases and then put them
together ready for sale. For a while her was also a beerhouse
keeper. This was the Jolly Farmers, part of one a row of old cottages
facing the church which were demolished in the 1950's. Maybe he
took orders for clocks at the same time as he sold the beer.
- Ann English
We assume that after serving his
apprenticeship Dunham's son Edward (1832) moved to Whissonsett
to either help or take over his uncles business as his Uncle Edward
(1799) died in 1859. Edward was back living in Mattishall by 1871
shortly before his father Dunham died in 1872.
1861: Census - London Street, Whissonsett, North
Edward John Hoy - Head - Married - 26 - Watchmaker Master
- Mattishall Norfolk
Elizabeth Hoy - Wife - 22 - Yaxham, Norfolk
Edward Sussens Hoy - Son - 7m - Whissonsett, Norfolk
Sarah Ann Willmerson - Servant - Single 13 - House Servant
- Whissonsett, Norfolk
Living next door was Edward's Aunt .........
1861: Census - London Street,
Whissonsett, North Elmham -Norfolk
Piece: RG9/1244 Place: Enumeration District: 11, Folio: 119 Page:
12 Schedule: 65
Sarah Hoy - Head - Widow - 63 - Post Mistress - Whissonsett
John Hoy's children
Hoy's of Hingham - another
generation as well as being another branch of the family
John William Hoy approx from
1851 as an employee, 1860-1900 as employer, (grandson of John Hoy
(the founder) of Mattishall)
William George Hoy from approx 1881-1929,
(son of John (above) and great grandson of John of Mattishall)
Elizabeth Hoy (1802) could also
have been a clock, watchmaker or casemaker. In those days it would
be hard to believe that growing up in the Hoy family she was not
put to work in the business in some form or other. There are many
women known to have been working in this trade. There is such a
record in 1822 of an Elizabeth Hoy recorded as a watchmaker but
no further information. From all accounts Elizabeth had an illegitimate
son John Hoy born about 1830 at Mattishall. Elizabeth married
Edward Blomfield a Surgeon in 1841 at Norwich when John was
11. She was then recorded living at Hingham where John (her son)
was recorded as a Watchmaker in the 1851 census. Did he come to
Mattishall to learn the trade or did the knowledge come from his
mother? Or did his grandfather also live in Hingham.
As mentioned it appears
that John (below) born in 1830 at Mattishall could have been illegitimate.
In 1841 he was recorded at the age of 11 living at Hingham and in
1851 at the age of 21 again at Hingham a Watchmaker. During these
ten years was he a live in apprentice to his uncle or grandfather
over at Mattishall as he must have learnt his trade somewhere. Although
there were Watchmakers in Hingham at that time but it just seems
strange that he took up the family trade as it were
1830: Pigot's Directory
of Hingham Norfolk
William Bedford was recorded as Hingham's clock and watchmaker
1845: - William White's
History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Hingham Norfolk
William Bedford was recorded as Hingham's clock & watchmaker
- So was John his apprentice?
William Bedford had his premises
in a cottage now demolished. As you leave the Market Place going
towards Norwich there are a row of old brick houses/shops and then
a block of modern flats just before the former Royal Oak pub. There
were 4 cottages/shops here. In 1841 William Bedford appeared
to own all of them; he lived in the second one. He was still there
in the 1851 censu but was retired in 1861censu but still lived there
with his nephew James Frankland who was recorded as a watchmaker.
Bedford was buried, aged 75, on 3.4.1865 but his house was sold
in 1864. Was it John Hoy who bought it as in the 1871 censu
John Hoy was there as watchmaker. He was still there in 1881
censu and 1891 censu because when he insured the house in 1897 with
the Sun Insurance Co. it was recorded as recently thatched but now
tiled. In the 1901 censu he was still in Hingham and probably still
in the same shop, but I cannot be sure. He then moved to the Market
Place and was in the right-hand half of Monger's shop - Dick
Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Hingham - Norfolk
William Bedford was still recorded as Hingham's clock &
watchmaker - so it appears that John
could have been working for him
1883: William White's
History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Hingham Norfolk
John Hoy is now recorded as Hingham's watchmaker
Elizabeth Hoy (1802)
1884: Nov 11 - Burial record - Elizabeth Bloomfield
at St Andrew Church, Hingham age 82 - entry 335 - Sep quarter -
Forehoe 4b 137
1891: Census - The
Plain, Hingham, Norfolk
John Hoy - Head - Married - 51 - Watchmaker(Em'er) - Mattishall
Hannah Hoy - Wife - 54 - Hingham
William Hoy - Son - Single - 30 - Watchmaker(Em'ee) - Hingham
Sarah Hoy - Dau - Single - 28 - Schoolmistress(Em'ee) - Hingham
Edward Hoy - Son - Single - 15 No Occupation(Notem) - Hingham
Two of John's children were living away from
home - not sure of their occupation or who they were living with
Aldred Hoy - 27 - 1864 - Doncaster Yorkshire (West Riding)
Ellen Hoy - 22 - 1869 - Warwick Warwickshire
John Hoy was in Hingham in 1891
and occupied the property in the Market Place currently part of
Mongers (architectural reclamation business), his son George took
over by 1908 and continued until 1925. - Charlie Cooper (Hingham)
Return to John
Idly trawlling through the internet
one night I was drawn to an American site selling clocks. There
was an advert for a tall-case clock made by 'HOY' of Mattishall
. I emailed the company and asked if I could use their pictures
and information for our village website, they agreed and ended with
a short note saying "why not buy it! and bring it home"
- I mentioned this to Russell Smith and within
hours I had a phone call from a villager asking for the website
address. Within a few weeks the clock was safely standing in their
hall. - Our thanks to them for bringing back
part of Mattishall's history.
The HOY family worked from the house
next to The Laurels on the Dereham Road after his father Edward
Northern English Quartered
Oak Tallcase Clock
"J.D. Hoy - Mattishall"
With chamfered trunk and working calendar,
c.1820 We reject most tallcase clocks offered to us as they are
either too "pedestrian" in nature, in poor quality, a combination
of the preceding, way "overvalued", or just plain not antiquities.
Here is an exception to the rule, a beautiful tallcase clock in
quartered oak. Physical size: 82"h x 18.75"w x 9.5"d 8-day time
and bell-strike (hourly) mechanism in good running order, driven
by two iron weights; movement overhauled in 1993.
Note the working calendar subsidiary
dial and the original hand-pierced hands.
Very nice and highly desirable hand-painted hunt scene on the dial
surround, with just a few (age-appropriate chips). Dial is signed
J.D. Hoy - Mattishall, who apparently also was recorded as J.D.
Case is quartered oak, typical to the period. Note the chamfered
corners of the trunk as well as the mahogany veneer that frames
the door, not to mention the inlay. It's all in-tact with slight
raising in the trunk door perimeter trim that gives it the unusual
A latter addition to the site....... this message.
Back to its Roots
An English village responds enthusiastically to our
In November, 2002 we arranged the sale of an English
longcase clock to a couple who reside in the village where the clock
was made nearly 200 years ago. The clock was shipped by DHL from
Reno, NV to London, then trucked to its final destination in the
village of Mattishall. Here's what the buyer had to say:
"The clock is up and running and looks well. It has caused
quite a stir here in Mattishall. One or two people have come to
look at it, and the village wish to put a piece in the local Newsletter
about the clock returning to the village where it was made. Several
people have come up with pieces about the clock and the maker which,
of course, makes it very interesting.
Once again, thank you for your help in bringing this clock back
to its roots."
Pretty cool, huh?
We aim to please!