| PICTURES OR MEMORIES
- Do you have anything you would like to share?
If you have email me HERE
Ray Taylor ©
Welgate Road - On the left just as you go
into Welgate Road Lebbell King built his retirement home now known
as 'Welgate House.' Here he is standing by his gate. Lebbell was
born in 1850 at Swanton Morley the son of Charles King (1819) a
Farm Labourer born at Ellingham and Maria Lebbell (1814) born at
Swanton Morley. Lebbell did his apprenticeship as a carpenter and
it was not long before he was working for himself where he acquired
a reputation in building all sorts of properties as well as carrying
out church renovations. In 1871 he married his first wife Sophia
Garth (1847) who was born at Thuxton. He then moved to Mattishall.
In 1900 Lebell built the Methodist Church on Dereham Road. After
Sophia died in 1907 Lebbell married Katie Selina Horne (1873) at
Mattishall in 1909. Katie was the daughter of George Horne (1827)
a Tailor and his wife Susanna Harriet Poll. Lebbell also gained
a reputation as a Methodist Preacher and spent 65 years preaching
on the Methodist Circuit taking over from his mother Maria King.
At his death on March 29th 1937 at the age of 87 it is reported
that after the service at the Methodist Church the main road had
to be closed for his funeral procession as it moved to the cemetery.
PC Knightingale took charge to direct the traffic.
The late Elizabeth Kettle ©
Welgate Road. The building on the left is
the' United Reformed Church' The cottages at the rear was the home
of Albert and Hilda Hawkins where they brought up their family.
They were demolished to make way for newer bungalows. For more information
on the United Reformed Church click HERE
Ray Taylor ©
Welgate Road - Marshall Cole
(1866) and his wife Florence Jessie Beckett outside 'Ebenezer Cottage'
in Welgate about 1920.
The late Mollie Pearce ©
Welgate Road - Outside Lime
Tree Farm about 1908 - Frederick William Pearce (1865) his wife
Kate Gapp with their daughter Nellie Aileen Pearce born 1899 at
The Castle Museum Norwich ©
Bristol Delft blue and white bowl (14 inches across)
This bowl was sold to the Castle Museum in 1985
The inscription reads
JOSEPH SPRINGALL WHOLESALE POTTER
IN THE COUNTY OF NORFOLK.
He was a Quaker and the surveyor of the highways for Welgate, Mattishall
Perry Youngs ©
Dalton Turner was a Farmer come Milkman. Here we
see Dalton with his pony and trap from which he would carry out
deliveries. In the trap is a young boy who was in fact Brian Youngs
who lived on Back Lane. He would also cycle round the village with
the milk churns on his handlebars he was said to go round to the
door with his can and dipper the price was 2d per pint. Dalton Turner
was born Charles William D Turner in 1911. We assume the 'D' stands
for Dalton. His parents were William Isaac Turner (1887) and Louisa
Drew (1890). Later in life Dalton moved to Sunnyside on Dereham
Road where his sister Kathleen lived. Kathleen married Frederick
W Hipperson in 1936. Dalton died in 2001 age
90 at East Dereham
The late Elizabeth Kettle ©
Clippings Green - This picture is dated
1891, it is of Clippings Green Farm which probably dates back to
the 12th century when a moat surrounded the original dwelling. The
existing farmhouse (Grade 11) was originally a timber-framed building
and was built in the early/mid 16th century. Further extensions
were carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries and the house was
restored in 1992. The man in the horse and trap is unknown.
The late Elizabeth Kettle ©
Mill Road - The red brick
tower mill in Mill Road, was built for Matthew Yull in 1857/58.
It replaced an earlier post mill shown on Faden's Map of 1797 and
advertised for sale in 1787. It was again for sale in 1813. From
1815 the post mill was owned by members of the Toffts family, James,
John and Mrs. Mary Toffts, till Richard Sendall bought it in 1840.
He kept it till 1855, when he sold it to Matthew Yull, a local farmer.
In the meantime it had had a succession of tenant millers, Christmas
Fulcher, William Neve, Archibald Brasnett, Levi Reynolds and John
Sendall. By July 1856 whilst in the occupation of John Sendall it
had been demolished for some reason or other. When the new tower
mill had been built Matthew Yull worked it in his own name from
April 1858. However, he seems to have got into difficulties in 1860,
when the property was advertised for sale by his Mortgagees, though
the sale was cancelled the following week. The mill was then let
to William Murrell, 1860/61 and to John Muskett from 1862 till 1870,
when he was made Bankrupt and his stock in trade sold up. M. Farmen
was running the mill in 1872, George Farman 1875-1879 and in 1883
William Critoph of Yaxham tower mill was working it. In October
1889 the mill property together with the farm which included land
in Westfield and Yaxham was once more put up for sale by the Mortgagees,
but appears not to have been sold, as in October 1890 it was again
auctioned. The mill was then in hand and no longer being used and
was bought by Isaac Fisher, who had the present house built there.
The top of the mill was blown off about 1893 and some of the material
went to repair the Mill Street tower mill being worked by William
Lant Duffield. The mill was finally dismantled about 1900. To preserve
and protect what was left of the tower Lebbell King built a roof
over it. It has now been converted into a
holiday home by the present owners Donald and Margaret Fisher, grandson
of Isaac Fisher.
The late Ruth Fisher ©
Mill Road - Outside Ivy Dene showing Isaac
Fisher (1866) with his young family. Isaac's wife Kate Groom is
standing behind the horse and trap. Isaac's daughter Elsie Kate
(1892) is sitting with him and baby Stanley Isaac (1895) is in the
pram. The nurse is unknown. We can date this picture to about 1896.
Elsie would marry Arthur Edward Horne and Stanley would marry Agnes
May Horne (Arthur's sister). The next picture, which is much later,
show both Elsie's and Stanley's children on a visit to see their
The late Kay Horne ©
Mill Road - Isaac Fisher commissioned Lebbell
King to build a house for his family. It was in fact a modernisation
of the one already on the site which stands on the edge of Mill
road. The stump of the old mill is at the rear. What we see today
is the combination of the older house and the alterations. This
would become the Fisher family home as it remains to this day. At
the time of this picture these young cousins were visiting their
grandparents Isaac Fisher (1866) and Kate Groom (1865). From left
to right they are Ivy Elise Horne (1919), Margaret Alice Fisher
(1921), Katie Florence Horne (1921), Bertha Rosalind Horne (1923)
and young Stephen Arthur Horne (1926). Cousins Horne's are the children
of Isaac's children Elise Kate Horne nee Fisher (1892) and Stanley
Isaac Fisher (1895).
Jerry Hipperson ©
Mill Road - This picture has suffered a little
over the passage of time but it shows us a group of men who worked
for Wesley Lusher at his small holding on Mill Road. They are standing
behind the old cottages (now demolished) just off Mill Road into
Daffodil Way. According to the back of the picture the man with
a cross above his head is John Drew. We assume the same John/Jack
Drew who became a dealer and lived on Dereham Road. Wesley Lusher
was a market gardener, he owned all the land west of Mill Road where
the houses of Orchard and Moorfield Road, Robert Key Drive and Wesley
Close, which was named after him were later built. On his land were
several very large greenhouses.
Wesley Lusher and his wife Lotte.
Wesley and Lottie lived very basically and would go everywhere
by bike. As we can see there was nothing fancy about their preferred
method of transport either. In fact Wesley's was a basic trade
bike. Wesley was also a Methodist Preacher and was well regarded,
a post he held for over 40 years, so much so he would be asked
to preach at many other village churches on what was called the
Mattishall Methodist Circuit. What ever the weather Wesley and
Lotte would to bike to every one on a Sunday, sometime taking
two services. He was also superintendent of Hockering Methodist
Church for many years. His effection for Hockering was probely
due to the fact his mothers relations owned the Mill and lived
in the village for many years. Wesley was also a Parish Councilor
and a manager of the County Primary School.
Wesley was born Wesley William Lusher in 1893 the son of William
Lusher (1866) a Farmer and Market Gardener of 6 Mill Road Mattishall
and his wife Hetty English. Wesley married Charlotte Fox (1892)
in 1923. They had no children.
Wesley died in 1966 at Whitlingham Hospital
aged 73 and was buried on January 18th. Lotte died in 1971 at
the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital aged 79 and was buried with Wesley
on March 20th at Mattishall Cemetery, Burgh Lane.
Newspaper cutting: date unknown.
Many is the time that Mr and Mrs Lusher have been seen arriving
on a Sunday afternoon in driving rain. But I wonder how many people
gave a thought to what prompted them to make the five-mile return
journey from their home at Mattishall? It was 34 years ago the
Mr Lusher of Mill Road was asked to become the society steward
of the Methodist Church of Hockering and to try to re-form the
Sunday School, which had been closed for some years. Mr Lusher
accepted and straight-away visited all parents in Hockering and
asked them to send their children to Sunday school. The result
was a resounding success and today many of the children that attend
are the children of the first pupils. Mr Lusher, who is superintendent
of the Sunday school, has for the past 34 years, and Mrs Lusher
for only one year less cycled in all weathers except when they
were able to obtain a lift from Mattishall to Hockering to take
the Sunday school and again in the evening to attend the service.
Each year without fail some of the pupils have gained prizes and
certificates in the Scripture Union examinations, and each year,
too every child has received gifts of fruit from Mr Lusher's garden.
Although Mr Lusher is handicapped by not being able to walk far,
he is able to get about on his trusty steed. He and Mrs Lusher,
together with the help of Mr Russell Horne, of Mattishall who
has been a teacher as the Sunday school for the past ten years,
hope to continue their work for the church and school for many
years to come.
The late Russell Smith ©
Location unknown - Keeping on bikes here
we have William Godfrey (1860) and his second wife Sarah Pooley
(1862). This unique means of transport comprising of, front a tri-cycle
and behind a bike with the front wheel removed and welded to its
rear by the front folks. This creation was designed and made by
Charles Herbert Smith (1894) at his home 'The Quakers' on Dereham
Road. Charles worked for AJ Farrows in their blacksmith and workshop.
In 1911 William was an Assistant Grocer living on Norwich Road Mattishall.
Neither William or Sarah could not keep their balance on a normal
bike how ever much they tried. William and Sarah would raise a lot
of interest as they went through the village and other places of
their travels. William died in 1939 at the age of 74 and was buried
on August 23rd. Sarah died in 1949 age 86 at Gressenhall and was
buried on May 7th. Both at Mattishall Cemetery.
Dr Adrian Hodge ©
Mill Road - This building was at the bottom
of Mill Road on the corner before the road take a sharp left. It
was once owned by Isaac Fisher, owner of the Mill and Ivy Dene.
Later his son Russell Fisher lived there for a while before it was
sold to Mr Eames, it was then known as Walnut Tree Farm. In September
of 2005 at cottage was demolished and this picture shows the way
these old properties were built with Wattle and daub. Wattle and
daub is a composite building material used for making walls, in
which a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle is daubed with
a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil,
clay, sand, animal dung and straw. Wattle and daub has been used
for at least 6000 years and is still an important construction material
in many parts of the world. Many historic buildings include wattle
and daub construction, and the technique is becoming popular again
in more developed areas as a low-impact sustainable building technique.
For more pictures visit Dr Hodge's Blog - HERE
Robert Girling ©
Stone Road - This is Robert and Isabel Girling,
the caravan is said to have been their home when they first married.
It was sited on the site now occupied by Philip Warmer and his car
spares business on Stone Road. Robert and Isabell sold fish, vegetables
and fruit from a horse and cart. Robert was born Robert William
Girling in 1896 son of James William Girling (1870) who was in 1911
a Farm Labourer of Yaxham Road Mattishall and his wife Anna Vartue
Porter (1866). Robert married Isabel Kate Moore in the Jun equarter
of 1924 at Mitford - Isabel was born in the June quarter of 1902
at Norwich daughter of Frederick William Moore who was in 1911 a
Groom and Gardener at Rectory Farm Cottage, Western Longville and
Kate Elizabeth Hilling. Robert and Isabel had three children, Kate
M born 1925, Geoffrey R 1929 and Rosemary H Girling born 1932. Baby
Geoffrey Robert died in 1930 age just 14 months old and was buried
on November 10th at Mattishall Cemetery. Robert died in 1969 at
East Dereham age 73 - Isabel died in 1977 at Ashford Kent age 75.
There appears to be an article written by Isabel on her school days
in the National Archive: - Isabel Girling: memoir of schooldays
in Weston Longville (1908-1916) 1977 (MC 2757)
Karen Bash ©
Church Lane Mattishall Burgh - Again a picture taken before
1930. The man with the horse is unknown.
Donald & Margaret Fisher ©
Burgh Lane - The two cottages are just as
you go in on the right although then it was called Cemetery Road
which is written on the back of the picture. The doors opened up
right onto the gravel road which would indicate this picture was
taken before 1930. The brickwork on the gable end wall seems to
had quite a bit of weathering with some missing altogether. On the
back of the picture it simply has Mrs Wright. Would the lady be
Mrs Wright and maybe her son?
|Over the years there were a few postcards of Mattishall
on sale in local shops, the one above is of the cemetery on Burgh
Lane. We assume this was used as a foreground to show All Saints.
It had been newly acquired land and the first burial took place on
July 23rd 1894. All Saints churchyard had become full. Sadly over
the next few years the cemetery was neglected and by the year 2001
there were several clusters of bushes and in some cases trees. Many
headstones were completely covered.
In the August of 2002 a few villagers got together to form a work
party to clear it. This can be seen in the pictures below.
The clearing was done over 3-4 weeks in the evenings.
The left picture shows the late Russell Smith, the man with his
back to us is Urban Hawkins. Jenny Penall and her husband can be
seen in the distance. The right picture shows Carol Worman getting
stuck in cutting down a large bush with Donald Fisher on the right.
Although it was very hard work there was a great community spirt.
There were many headstones which hadn't seen the light of day for
some time. Margaret Fisher and Marjorie Ward organised the tea breaks,
so we were well looked after. Donald Fisher brought his tractor
and large farm trailer which we piled high and removed 3-4 large
loads. After a few evenings the cemetery was restored to someting
more respectable. This then inspired the Parish Council to apply
for a grant to lay kerb stones and tarmac the drive which had been
shingle and weeds since it first opened. The grant also included
installing a memorial garden at the top left corner. Unfortunaly
we did not take many pictures so we can't show the other members
of the work party which included Mike Wilson, Fred Elson, Roy Skinner,
the late John Ward and myself, Ray Taylor. If I have left anyone
out please let me know.
RETURN TO TOP